Total Pageviews

Saturday 20 April 2013

My Brother Ron

The first person I can remember using a typewriter was my brother Ron. It was in my father's tailoring shop, in 1957, and the typewriter was an Imperial 65.
When Ron and my father invested in the Imperial standard, I was given Dad's 1947 Underwood Universal portable. 
Ron, aged 15, reading Esquire magazine. This was the year I was born. When I reached the age of 15, I acquired my own love for reading Esquire.
Ron rows me ashore at a river at Rotomanu, 1952.
Ron the rugby player, 1954
Ron and I with our late mother, 1990
Ron and I at our mother's funeral, 2003
Ron, 1977
Ron and I with Ron's daughter, son-in-law and Ron's grandchildren, Moana, three weeks ago today.

8 comments:

Richard P said...

This is a very fine tribute and memoir. I admire your brother's composure at this time.

Julie Goucher said...

A lovely & moving tribute. Thinking of you & your family at this sad & difficult time.

Scott K said...

Beautiful, Robert.

Miguel Chávez said...

Having also lost an older brother, who was my hero, my role model, my best friend and confident, I know what you're going through. My best wishes for you and your family, Robert. May you all find a way to share the peace, composure and resignation of your brother.

TonysVision said...

Your love, caring, and kindness show through in this nice bit of writing. To me, though, as my wife and I move into our 70's ("How terribly strange to be 70", as Paul Simon said once), it is good to hear how your brother has found a way to approach the end of his life with peace and composure - even looking at an aspect of it as one more challenge.

Ray said...

Thank you for sharing these wonderful memories of your brother with us. This is a loving and moving tribute. Our thoughts are with you.

Rob Bowker said...

Sounds like Ron's had a full life, been a solid son, brother and husband, and will hear the ref's full-time whistle blow with a full set of marbles and the support of his family. That's a life worth celebrating. And thanks for sharing his story so far - you'll make a writer yet.

Gerard said...

this is a very sad but beautifully written piece.